Monday, April 17, 2006

running into animals - running errands


Suz was leading me to go swimming in a place where at least one alligator was known to live. She wasn’t afraid. There’s a log in the distance that we had to cross. I was afraid of getting in too deep.

“The log is perfectly safe,” she said. Then we really see it clearly—it was an alligator! We were on the bank, scaling down to the water… Suddenly I see a gator form on my right.

“It’s a dead one,” she said and even nudged it to prove it to me.

I saw it slowly open its eyes and awaken. This place was infested with gators. Leaving it means we’d have to scale a tall concrete wall by shimmying up a tall post/rain gutter then cross over the wall into the border town (some Italian city).

We tiptoed through the field, where numerous gators were sunning themselves, their mouths open. They were hungry and would not mind eating us, this we knew. But they as long as they remained unprovoked… Suz went first. Easy for her.

I reached the top and had trouble heaving myself over the wall. She (on the other side) went to get help from some lady friends and a male painter. They were less than enthusiastic but willing helpers.


I was looking through DB’s ties. He had an artful collection. One had photos of kites made in shapes of microbes. Another was designed by Paul McCartney.


I was celebrating at a dinner table. I was eating peaches and cottage cheese. A 10-year-old girl had just accomplished something she as very proud of—a test or something—and exclaimed with self satisfaction that she was “in the Tennessee of my life” (walking on air)


DK/T were at a party—Jan Frazier’s got another poetry chapbook out “Lumin-something” printed in the same style as her last one. She’d also bought a magazine of Pamela Anderson Lee whose pages have dispersed. I helped her to pick it up, laughing a bit.

It feels like someone’s home. The family is there at the table that Jan, DK and me stood around. Stacks of books or DVDs or something. The grown ups were apparently outside. We were watching them through a bay window. They were coupling up or recoupling, who knows? It looked like fun.

Later, DK and I went for a walk and lost each other. I went in the Co-op to continue my shopping. Then I waited outside with my Dad by a truck where some rakish boys were loitering. Dad and I were just chatting. I looked up and there was DK coming towards me—cowboy hat, boots, jeans, wifebeater. He reached out his hand to me. I took it and rose. Gathered my stuff and we went off.


With Dina and DB was sent off to get milk for the elder lady and her officeworkers. Walked to Farmer’s Market. I only had a couple bucks (not enough?) Walked to some other convenience store then decided to go the home of elder man I’d met not long again with the pretense of checking up on him. His name is Harry. I got there just as he was going for a stroll. So I walked him out. And I rightly ask for a glass of milk. Got back and Phosy said, Where were you? etc. I mentioned how I had to walk everywhere—sorry. And DB was here and just hugged me except that he had one objection.


I’m hanging out at Dina’s house (sleeping over or something). She takes her giant hairy tarantula out of its cage so it can run around. It was huge. It was black. At one point, it saw me and ran up my body and draped itself across my shoulders like a fur stole. And I cried. And then the spider was cavorting around also with Dina’s black kitten—they were almost the same size.

Other dreams, too, but they are not the main dreams, and I don’t really want to write about them.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home